Dockyard Issue - Does not recognize Palace

• The description of the Dockyard building states the following:

Your Town Hall must have reached level 35, or the Governor’s Residence of your colony level 10.

Take note of the "OR" right there.

So if one has a town with a Town Hall of less that 35, so long as the Govenor's Residence has level 10, it should be fine to build. This is accurate for any city barring the capital, as the capital does not have a Govenor's Residence, as it instead has the Palace.

Given the Govenor's Residence has the same functionality as the Palace in the capital, and is for all intents and purposes essentially the same building; I am assuming this is an oversight, as it makes zero sense to disallow the contruction of a Dockyard in the capital simply because it does not have access to the specified building in name only.

• Your assumption is wrong. The palace does not have the same function as the governor's residence. Try changing the form of governance in the governor's residence.

• I've been playing a dogma game for a decade now (after having played like mad for 5 years, reaching #1 general points on my then server and giving away that account so my kids would recognize me as their father), not allowing myself to upgrade town halls at all, they have remained at level 1. I have 8 towns now and 2 million points. Another "requirement" has been to build on every plot. Adding the dockyard to the game killed that, but I'll be damned if I don't build one. But I want it in my capitol, so the plan is to break the rule temporarily by upgrading town hall to level 35, build the dockyard and then demolish town hall back to level 1. Shouldn't be a problem, or am I playing risky business?

12-Apinaa-sig-2021.gif

• You cannot demolish a Town Hall as it is the main building in the city.

Try downgrading it by going down 1 level and you'll see that your plan won't work.

segimann2.png

Tusen takk til Infinity for dette stilige bildet!

• Your assumption is wrong. The palace does not have the same function as the governor's residence. Try changing the form of governance in the governor's residence.

Your assumption that I made an assumption is wrong. I inferred that the two buildings are essentially the same because the game implies that this is the case

While it's true that only the Palace allows for changing the form of government, the Govenor's Residence is essentially the same building for eveything else - it must be built to the same level to stop corruption after a new colony, it lists your town level, and the "Palace level" which is the Govenor's Residence in towns other than the capital. One can also "upgrade" a Govenor's Residence into the Palace by sleecting Relocate Capital.

The game code will even automatically switch between Govenor's Residence and Palace when switching towns as it recognizes it as the same building type. Select any building and switch town, and the game will automatically present the same building of that town. This does not happen with buildings that are the similar, but not the same (such as secondary resource booster buildings - the Winery, Glassblower, Stonemason, Alchemist's Tower) because their function is different from each other despite being similar.

Strange In the thread you mentioned (which is just titled "New Dockyard" and talks mostly about the building itself rather than potential bugs) Seigmann mentions the same issue, and Splina supports the argument that as the Palace and Governor's Residence are essentially the same building, this is most likely an oversight that will ultimately be fixed in an update.

The game states the quote from my initial post for any town that is not the Capital, and has not reached either a level 35 Town Hall, or a Govenor's Residence of level 10. It states the exact same phrase for the Capital, despite there being no option to build a Govenor's Residence in the Capital. Were it to say instead something like:

"As this is your capital, you must reach Town Hall level of 35 to build to build the dockyard"

Then fine, that would prove that the Palace does not qualify as a Govenor's Residence in this case but this makes zero sense from a gameplay point of view, and as Splina stated, all this does is punish the Capital with no valid reason.

The arguments against offer little actual reason for this discrepancy other than the fact the Palace offers additional service, and state that as reason enough that the two buildings are therefore "not the same" despite serving the same function. The only valid argument against would be the statement made by Draxo whom suggests it is intentional so as to disclude single-town empires, but as such an empire would just need to upgrade the Town Hall to 35 - far easier to achieve than reaching Palace of 10 - even this reason is flimsy.

badidol states:

"No. Not a bug, not in need of fixing. Freighters are something for mid game to late game. Most players will have town hall 35 in the capital by then. Nothing to fix here."

However, if an account has intentionally left their Town Hall at a lower level - for example, to benefit from the smaller battlefield of a level 24 Town Hall in the capital - then this is not always the case. I mention this specifically, as this was a tactic I employed myself, until relatively recently - although some players may just prefer a smaller Town Hall just for managment sake, other priorities, or some other reason. Point being, the statment by badidol is too subjective, and suffers from the the very same fault that they point out in others. Reaching a Town Hall of level 35 is a possibility, not a probability.

As Seigmann later put it:

"People have different playstyles and different schedules"

• I've been playing a dogma game for a decade now (after having played like mad for 5 years, reaching #1 general points on my then server and giving away that account so my kids would recognize me as their father), not allowing myself to upgrade town halls at all, they have remained at level 1. I have 8 towns now and 2 million points. Another "requirement" has been to build on every plot. Adding the dockyard to the game killed that, but I'll be damned if I don't build one. But I want it in my capitol, so the plan is to break the rule temporarily by upgrading town hall to level 35, build the dockyard and then demolish town hall back to level 1. Shouldn't be a problem, or am I playing risky business?

You can move your capital in one of your colonies(you will lose the palace) build a GR to lvl 10, build Dockyard and then change the GR to a Palace again.

You can do it this way but you will lose 2 Palaces.

• You can move your capital in one of your colonies(you will lose the palace) build a GR to lvl 10, build Dockyard and then change the GR to a Palace again.

You can do it this way but you will lose 2 Palaces.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll just dump the dogma for my capital and push it to 35. Something new to do...

12-Apinaa-sig-2021.gif