i would like to suggest a new feature - sea peoples invasions. they would appear 1 or 2 times a year in a some sort of an server wide event (a global disaster) lasting around 2 weeks.
How would this work:
- on an island near the center of map (around x50 y50) a sea peoples base would appear
- they would work similar to barbarian village/ barbarian fleet but all players on server could attack them.
- they would have same units as barbarians, but a lot more of them.
- strength of sea peoples would be decided by number of (active) players on server and total score of those players
- after defeating sea peoples the whole server would receive a temporary bonus (rewards could be: increased happiness, bonus research speed, resource production boost, premium account time, extra gold production, or some kind of inventory items)
- player(s) who have caused the most damage to sea peoples would receive some additional rewards.
Why would this be useful addition to the game:
1. Would be a limited time event and would cause a spike of player activity during the duration of event.
2. Players would get another reason to train and use troops.
3. Would provide incentive for players to cooperate and also compete to cause the most damage and get better rewards.
4. Another way for people to spend ambrosia in game.
placing all sea peoples to one place would probably require a bigger battlefield.
another solution would be scattering sea peoples all across the world in smaller outposts but you would still require to destroy them all to complete the event. this way you could also add a mix of land and sea bases. or you could add loot to each base to be looted after victory, accessible on first come - first serve basis.