Forum Organization

• This has probably been mentioned awhile back but for someone who's been away for a while and have come back only recently, the current organization state of this Forum is, to put it tactfully, a giant dumpster fire. Like seriously who designed this Forum, much less organized it in the following manner? I get having sections based on Language, but you couldn't further categorize or separate things further than this? I mean ffs, other GF Forums for other games are nowhere close to being this poorly designed/organized so what the Spaceballs gives? Whatever happened to Help&Questions board, Suggestions Board, every World having their own SubForum so that they aren't all convoluted together like it is now and a few other public subforums for like Forum Games/etc. Yet what this Forum currently happens to be... this is simply an embarrassment. Maybe instead of updating the game with more Building levels you do everyone a favor and update this monstrosity of a Forum because for someone who remembers Forums from back in the day, this is a giant disgrace the likes of which that can't be described with words safe for public consumption.

For reference and to illustrate how it should be done... OGame EN (gameforge.com) <- That's a Forum worth visiting. Why can't Ikariam have a Forum just like that one?

• There's really no need for 43216457825 sub forums for each world.

All that does, is clutter up the forum system making it less and less performant. Also it's absolute overkill.

OGame can handle that any way, shape or form, OGame sees fit. This is Ikariam though and not OGame.

For the rest I am with Draxo. Is there anything in particular you don't seem to be finding or did you just want this to be a general rant, which you now performed, vented and can be closed?

pcmIK.jpg

Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.

Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen.

I can see your point, for most things... However, it would certainly be nice to in the very least have the US and EN forums separated. While we speak the same language, culturally we are vastly different. We tend to think they are prudish and uptight, and they tend to act like we are barbarians.

The only place that actual servers would make sense to segregate is for diplomacy. While many players do play on multiple servers, there has always been certain differences in the attitudes of different servers.

UhPWCXc.jpgg

Truth is my weapon. Knowledge is my armor. Wisdom is my strategist. Love is my warrior...

Quote by Matshona Dhliwayo

"Why must you always chase after dragons?"

"Because they are the ones that have all the gold"

-Overheard conversation in a decrepit cantina

"Why do Dragons hoard gold?"

"Simply to flex on other sapient species"

-Overheard conversation between scholar's apprentices

RIP over 1,700 posts that I left behind on the old forums

I can see your point, for most things... However, it would certainly be nice to in the very least have the US and EN forums separated. While we speak the same language, culturally we are vastly different. We tend to think they are prudish and uptight, and they tend to act like we are barbarians.

The only place that actual servers would make sense to segregate is for diplomacy. While many players do play on multiple servers, there has always been certain differences in the attitudes of different servers.

Yet again, there are vast overlaps in team, the CM is the same, as well as many players who actually play in EN as well as in US.

I see no upside to seperating them again.

pcmIK.jpg

Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen.

• That is because you are looking at it from a standpoint of managing it, not from the standpoint of an end user.

Having been a board mod, I can see how it would be easier to run with fewer moderators and less forums to go into...

From the standpoint of an end user, it can make reading the diplomacy section confusing... As many alliances have a presence on multiple servers.

And while both EN and the US speak the same language, there are differences in what is acceptable to say and how to say it, within each culture. There are things that would be acceptable in each culture to say, that would in the very least start a fist fight in the other (if said face to face).

But, I would do it strictly for the diplomacy section, were I going to suggest any segregation. The rest could safely remain lumped together.

UhPWCXc.jpgg

Truth is my weapon. Knowledge is my armor. Wisdom is my strategist. Love is my warrior...

• And while both EN and the US speak the same language, there are differences in what is acceptable to say and how to say it, within each culture.

Well, to be fair...those boundaries are set by me, anyway. I, as representative of the company and responsible employee for taking care of this, decide, what is acceptable to say and what isn't on our platforms. And that doesn't necessarily have much to do with either the US, nor the UK, but mostly with German laws, to be honest.

I get your point. I just don't agree and I simply also don't see the pros massively overturning the cons I mentioned.

At the end of the day nothing said in the forum has any real effect on the game itself anyway, to be honest. It's mostly just roleplay and the generation of players who really are interested in that or put a premium value on that isn't the majority anymore to be honest. At least that's the overall impression I get scouring through the forums, discord, social media, etc.

So, while I get your point, it's simply not really worth blowing up the forum again even more than it already is. I understand fully well, that this is not the answer you were hoping for. It is, however, at least a straight forward and honest one.

pcmIK.jpg

• Understood ,and while I disagree with/dislike your decision... I understand its reasoning.

I appreciate your candor, as it as it shows a lot more respect for players fundamentally, than your predecessors.

UhPWCXc.jpgg

• Being fair... The forums lost a lot of relevancy when bashing and gold pillaging went away..

It removed the reason to defend cities, the need to declare war to effectively pillage someone...

The only reason i had started using the forum years ago, was to declare war.

UhPWCXc.jpgg

• And while both EN and the US speak the same language, there are differences in what is acceptable to say and how to say it, within each culture.

At the end of the day nothing said in the forum has any real effect on the game itself anyway, to be honest.

This makes me sad :(

Specially, just by looking at the end section name called "Feedback".

With these new game changes, players have expressed lots of concerns, regarding new levels and costs, etc. If you say that what we say here won't have any effect on the game itself just makes me think if this forum section is just a waste of time. Because, I REALLY hope that developers will care about what players are saying here. And, if it's not the case, then there is no hope.

• Well, I am not saying that all of the suggestions to be implemented 'today'. At least, I want to make sure that what players are saying here reaches game developers.

Of course that I do not expect if one player wants unicorns in the game it will be listened. But, if tens, or hundreds of players are complaining about, let's say, the building places in a town, I expect us to be heard. Until now, nothing, but we are still waiting :D

So, if you say that our feedback is actually read and reviewed, this is good.

• Well, two things...

First, I'm not sure how long you have been around here... I've been around since pretty close to the beginning (with some admittedly sizable lapses), but badidol is AMAZINGLY forthcoming and direct. I've had more interaction and clearer responses from him as a user, than I ever did with any of his predecessors as even a staff member (I used to be a GO/Mod).

GF has ALWAYS made it completely clear that this is THEIR game and that we are guests here. It's a cold hard fact. They will not alter any decision they make, unless it impacts their profits. The only effective vote is with your wallet. The mass exodus starting with the 3.0 update was the result of the first time that became an issue. I remember when it was difficult to find somewhere to colonize and they limited how many cities we could have because there were so many players.

UhPWCXc.jpgg