Discussion: Christmas Contest 2021 Chitchat

• Wow, I missed a lot of words. But from what I understood of the rules there could only be straight words. Like it couldn't be L-shaped, right?

What if there is a double word but you only saw part of the word? That part is still a word.

And I also found spine and biter. Those are words too. It is odd that they won't count.

• spine and biter

Are they related to winter or christmas?

WOOLENS and FLURRIES

In English, a word ending in S doesn't mean it's plural

examples:

acoustics

aerobics

aerodynamics

aeronautics

athletics

classics

economics

electronics

genetics

linguistics

logistics

mathematics

mechanics

obstetrics

physics

politics

statistics

thermodynamics

bowls

cards

darts

diabetes

measles

mumps

rabies

draughts

skittles

rickets

shingles

sunrise-signature.jpg

• WOOLENS and FLURRIES

In English, a word ending in S doesn't mean it's plural

I know that, but in this case both of these words have a singular form Woolen and Flurry. I also checked on Cambridge dictionary and Wikipedia to confirm that.

• Specific language-related rules should be specified in my opinion. I googled what is plural just to be sure and assumed that words ending in S should be ignored. It might be basic for native English speakers, but not so much for non-natives. And since you merged whole communities to en recently, don't give us an excuse about strictly English speaking community. Being flexible in some situations is a great virtue.

In general, contest was fun, just a few things to reevaluate for future events :)

• Well, also "glasses" exists as a singular form, "glass". But when we talk about the tool that a lot of people put on the neck to look better, we consider them as a single item even if in plural form. I'm not a grammar expert, but ok, I agree: I'll be simpler in the future :)

About ikariam.org, I told at the beginning of the 5th question that... I was checking "your knowledge of the Ikariam world" ;)

ORG.

Season's Greetings to Everyone!

• Will you post the score of all participants? Can't wait to check mine since I'm to lazy to count the score myself ^^

PS : I'm pretty sure that I won't be the winner :D

ā€œFear is not evil. It tells you what you weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder.ā€ ~Gildarts

• Hilariuz I'm still checking the answers: I'll post the full list in a few hours :)

Thanks, will wait patiently ... :)

ā€œFear is not evil. It tells you what you weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder.ā€ ~Gildarts

• I have a question about the date alpha was open, in the lobby under age in days it says 5079 which brings it back to Feb. 1st 2008. Does this mean the number in the lobby is wrong? Also yesterday it said 5077 which would be Feb. 2nd 2008...

"On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"

-Richard Le Gallienne

edited-image_8.png

"Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing"

15 Feb 2008 (note: if you count the days reported on the lobby, you find 1st of Feb 2008, the server startup date; but registrations opened 2 weeks later, as shown in forum)

Problem with this is that I'm blind or there isn't threat or list of when each server was available in forum. I know that in old forum there was one, but in this one I simply don't see one

c00UzLS.png

Don't be afraid of monsters that lure in darkness, be afraid of the ones, that are walking in the light

• Paradox of DarknessĀ  Cassiopea due to a unwanted forum cleaning, unluckily this afternoon some guides and old posts were deleted. Among them, also the post on forum telling that the server was opened the 15th of Feb 2008 but it was started 1 Feb. The "trick" about the question was there: if you count the days on the lobby, the server started 1 Feb. But it was impossible to register until 15 Feb due to various tests performed before to open the registrations. This info was on forum, on the thread Servers in Ikariam EN . My apologies for that, we will rebuild the history as soon as possible

Season's Greetings to Everyone!

• If found words on the word puzzle that aren't on the "70 answer list" will they not count, even though they fit the description of the challenge?

For example, I found; Bread, Spine, Chock, Melee, Place and some more.

• If found words on the word puzzle that aren't on the "70 answer list" will they not count, even though they fit the description of the challenge?

I also found other words. I find it odd, it says that words must be at least 5 letters, so as long as they are I think they should be approved. If not then we loose points for having the wrong words.

Bread is inside gingerbread -> does not count.

Spine overlaps with pinecone, so I think it does not count (I didn't include it for this reason).

Chock overlaps with hockey, so the reasoning is the same.

Place is inside fireplace -> does not count.

I did include melee in my list, but I can let it go...