as you know, ikariam.org (aka Ikariam UK / EN) was originally put in place for British people, but within a short period of time it reached an international dimension: despite English being the official language, here you can find people coming from all around the world.
Some time ago, some Ikariam communities closed, and we had a flux of players from those countries. So, on our servers there are now many "national" alliances, where e.g. people coming from Philippines or Pakistan or Iran can meet and continue playing Ikariam on a "local" basis. Anyway, language used could be an issue for people who don't know English, and want to play Ikariam.
After some discussions about this matter, we decided to boost a little more our community, offering a space where non-English native speakers can interact using their own language: within the alliance. So, we have decided to review the rule about language in this way.
- It is now possible to create specific non-English speaking alliances. On such alliances it is allowed to use your own language in circular, private IGMs, and in ingame forum.
- Leader who wants to create a language-specific alliance must inform GOs via ticket system
- Non-English speaking alliances must have officers able to speak English: when contacted by Staff, they must be able to reply.
- Non-English speaking alliances must report on external page a clear sentence (in English) telling which language is used inside the alliance. E.g. “This alliance is mainly for [your language] speaking players”.
- External alliance page must be written in English
- Language used for communication between users on different alliances must be in English (even if both alliances are using internally the same language).
- Insults and swearing are still not allowed at all, even in non-English language.
- Messages sent in non-English language between people belonging to different alliances do not cause any ban (if not insulting and randomly sent). Anyway, reported user will be warned to always use the English language. (Clarified, 25th of.Oct.2020)
Contact your GO via ticket system if you need further clarification.
Please note: this rule was decided and put in place for EN/UK community only (British Ikariam. formerly ikariam.org). This means that other Ikariam communities can consider this behaviour as non applicable, or outside rules. So please, in case of doubt, contact Staff of other communities for further clarifications.
(Originally posted on 13th of September 2012)