New Forum

• My first impression was ... "don't like it, too messy".

I guess I'll just have to get used to it! Collapsing the other forums help to 'reduce' the size :/

Using the phone was not simple at first, but that too I slowly got used to it.

My only 'complaint' for now is the staff member list. Which staff belongs to which country; how a player knows who to contact directly. And before I get slapped, of course there's the ticket system for each country, but it's still nice to know who's who. :)

• Hey iotsie! So nice to see you here!

I have a question, how did you manage this on phone?! I could barely register...I think it was pure luck to pull that menu on...and the drop down menu is transparent .. I could barely see where I am suppose to click..Is there a way to fix this in settings or something? Or I just have to "get used" to it as per usual with GF?

"On the contrary, woman is the best equipped machine ever went to battle"

-Richard Le Gallienne

edited-image_8.png

"Asking polite with a gun in your hand is better than asking polite with nothing"

• Yep, this is trash. I was hunting for my beloved archives but I see GF wanted to wipe that away. Would love a heads up, some of my messages, idk, some of my forums.. anything but this gross super messy forum. Who thought this was a grand idea?

tevilprince4.jpg

Sig by June 8)

Love is like air, without it... I die.

• I can't imagine who designed such a cumbersome site...but as usual we will just have to "get used to it" I suppose until someone else gets bored & has another 'good idea'

• Hola Cass!

I didn't register via the phone.. it was near impossible as you said. And login was just as difficult.

Yep, I think we will have to resort to "get used to it". ;(

• Yeah,

WBB5 offers a mobile view, but the current makeshift style is neither optimised for smartphones/tablets, nor for small screens.

We'll have to live with that until the web design department @ GF gets to it.

To completely hide the boards of other communities, go to the main page and klick the eye symbol. This opens a rather self explanatory menu with checkboxes, where you can uncheck all communities you are not interested in.

Save your settings and rejoice.

Those settings are not available on the mobile view.

• Hello everyone

Probably we may not be enjoying the change and leaving behing lots of good memories in the old forums. However, we can always start fresh and do our same spam and battle reports here.

Unfortunately, the new design may not really work for mobile phones, but it fits good on any computer. Anyway ikariam was never meant to be played on phone. Similar to the forum.

Until the specialized department in GF makes a better design, we will adapt with the current one and enjoy the game. :)

• All this is nice, but the old forum is the law.

Живот је вечита борба.

Ко сме,тај може.

Ко не зна за страх,тај иде напред.

Војвода Живојин Мишић

Take a look at this previous post and edit it when you see that you made a mistake. I want everything to be right. I do not want to play a police.

69817910-10217217613049748-8155062818203238400-n.jpg

• Not thrilled with this, as it is clustering all the communities under one roof... Which I forsee creating some interesting clashes... A bit difficult to navigate. However, I got to keep my name that I've been using since 2008... So, I'm happy with that at least.

UhPWCXc.jpgg

RIP over 1,700 posts that I left behind on the old forums

• I'm looking for a place to submit suggestions... I know the paint is still wet around here, but it can;t hurt to ask..... Or can it?

UhPWCXc.jpgg

RIP over 1,700 posts that I left behind on the old forums

• They need more subsections in each main thread.. if anything to organize things moreso and make it look less cluttered and all over the place.

Not sure how I feel about these new forums. It may grow on me. But I find everything so distracting.

mayasig2.jpg

Thanks to Svana for the sig

• I'm looking for a place to submit suggestions... I know the paint is still wet around here, but it can;t hurt to ask..... Or can it?

You are right there.

Anything that doesn't have a dedicated subsection goes here.

Discussions, questions, suggestions all in this section.

There won't be any new (sub)sections added in the forseeable future.

Should there still be a need for more sections after everyone has settled in, we can take it up with our CoMa.

• Hey iotsie! So nice to see you here!

I have a question, how did you manage this on phone?! I could barely register...I think it was pure luck to pull that menu on...and the drop down menu is transparent .. I could barely see where I am suppose to click..Is there a way to fix this in settings or something? Or I just have to "get used" to it as per usual with GF?

I registered via phone. Probably by sheer luck to get to a log in page.

As you've seen, the clear menu is, well, horrible on mobile. And it's definitely a "get used to it" kind of situation. The one benefit I do see however is that you can navigate back to a section slightly quicker. (Swipe from the left side to the right and the menu comes out. Do the reverse for your account options.) However as other have not mentioned, ot's not optimized and it's an overall trend that sites are getting more and more, want to say it's a majority, of their traffic via mobile.

Kaleg_Nar_8_May_2017_zps7cfuxbla.jpg

A retired player here for spam. xeno.gif

• as with all things, if this was poorly made, they simply shouldn't have released an unfinished product. There's no reason in this day and age why things cannot be released with the proper optimization for phones, tablets, Macs and PCs. It's extremely lazy and sad.

tevilprince4.jpg

Sig by June 8)

Love is like air, without it... I die.

• There won't be any new (sub)sections added in the forseeable future.

Should there still be a need for more sections after everyone has settled in, we can take it up with our CoMa.

That's surprising to me. I know that the forum back on .us weren't hugely active and while I'm not sure how they were on .en, combining everything into one place just seems like a horrible idea from what I saw already. I'm also thinking back to the Cultural Treaties threads and how one thing that helped make them more useful is that it was easy to always find them as pinned threads in your server (at least on .us) whereas being pushed into the whole slew of things will make them easily lost.

To me, this seems like a sever oversight on GF's part to abolish the kind of order people have been used to. While it's expected that some things will change when a forum shifts its format, such a stark change and lack of organization is like they're intentionally making the forum hard-to-use.

Kaleg_Nar_8_May_2017_zps7cfuxbla.jpg

A retired player here for spam. xeno.gif

• You only have to "get used to it" if you want to bother to continue to use GF's user unfriendly updates.

I registered to give this new forum a try and I don't intend to waste my time with it.

Good job, GF, you alienated another user.

• Unfortunately, the new design may not really work for mobile phones, but it fits good on any computer. Anyway ikariam was never meant to be played on phone. Similar to the forum.

Until the specialized department in GF makes a better design, we will adapt with the current one and enjoy the game.

I can write, talk and argue about this for the next 100 years. But to cut real short my story.. :P

Indeed ikariam was not really meant for the phone, nor will it ever be developed for the phone, but to say a forum is not?
    Not going to swallow that one.

As bamcbix said, to release an unfinished product.. that is just bad plan.

There won't be any new (sub)sections added in the forseeable future.

.....To me, this seems like a sever oversight on GF's part to abolish the kind of order people have been used to. While it's expected that some things will change when a forum shifts its format, such a stark change and lack of organization is like they're intentionally making the forum hard-to-use.

I admit sub, sub sub.. sub sections were HUGE privileges to users in the older board. Labels were 'added' and used in the last one. It was something already existed. So it's something I can accept.

What frustrates me is that ORG and US are in the same pot...

Can one imagine seeing threads from EN Alpha and US Alpha in the same 'section'? And that's just 2 threads I'm referring to.. so, good luck with the other similar looking threads.

Anyway, back to the story about 'unfinished product', I guess there's no point shooting and hanging the pigeons who put this board out on time, it's the one at the top of the GF ladder that needs to revise the overall strategy about ikariam, and all the other GF games.:rolleyes:X/

• To make it clear and consise: the main usercase still is not mobile devices but desktop computer with a resolution of 1920x1080. This is what the vast majority of our users (most of which never set foot in a forum because why would they, sadly) are using. It is only natural then that in a makeshift style as this no love is being given to mobile views or any other resolutions. After all, it is makeshift and not final and the majority of users can use it with no problem whatsoever.

Again, while I have the fullest of sympathies (I actually don't, to be bluntly honest, I hate mobile phone browsing and personally consider it a very bad replacement for a proper screen and desktop but chances are I am just an old fart who doesn't like change (yeah, the irony is not lost on me here...)) for those who prefer to use mobile devices to do just about anything, you're not the majority. Yes, there might be a trend towards this. But you're not yet the majority. So for the time being, you'll have to be patient until you are. Sorry.

Now, as for the sections...unfortunately sections/forums are not indexed in the database. That means that a gazillion of forums having a gazillion of sub forums themselves again simply clutters the database more and slows operations down more than using labels, which are, funnily enough, indexed and thus much faster. That's why one should employ as little forums as possible and organise the majority of things, where applicable, with labels. If more sub forums should prove themselves as really necessary, we'll obviously add them. However, not before giving the proper approach a sufficient try :)

pcmIK.jpg

Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.

Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen.